Monday, April 25, 2022

Random studio pic of the day


My current keyboard rig. It's fairly straightforward: DSI Pro 2 atop a Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000. A little bit of old meets new, but since Dave Smith's company has once again reverted to the Sequential moniker and the Pro 2 is no longer made, both instruments are decidedly "vintage" now :)

I suppose you might be wondering if or when I might upload some sort of synth "demo" video for one or the other of them to YouTube, as many others have done. Personally, I have very little interest in doing so, not only because of the profusion of such videos that have already been posted, but for the simple reason that I am a musical artist, not just a "gear head". Don't get me wrong: I love my gear just as much as any synthesizer enthusiast, but to me the equipment is primarily a means to an end; the end (of course) being the creation of great music! I would infinitely prefer any interested parties to check out the works I've created and released rather than have them drool as I proceed to play a semi-random sequence of notes on the keyboard and twirl a few knobs for effect.  

That being said, I can definitely envision creating a series of performance videos of original works, including unreleased and/or improvised material, as a project worth pursuing in the future. Indeed, I've already started experimenting with this idea by recording a couple of performances of cover adaptations, but suffice to say I will probably have to upgrade my web camera first! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment